Behavioral Interviewing is Predictive of Future Job Success: 11 Sample Interview Questions! News Flash: the job market has expanded recently and the labor supply has contracted, so legal and inquisitive behavioral interviewing is needed. And, remember, you need to ask all applicants for the same opening the same questions. And allow the applicants to have time to think of historical events to answer the question and compose their answers:
Here is a sample of good ones:
- Tell me about the hardest day you had on your current or last job.
- Describe a situation in which you had to motivate someone.
- Tell me about the day or project you looked back upon as your biggest success.
- Describe a situation when you worked with a difficult client, vendor or co-worker; how did you handle it?
- Was there a time when you solved a really big company problem; how was it solved and was the resolution appreciated by those in charge?
- Give an example of a time that you had to juggle multiple tasks.
- How are you at persuasion? Can you think of a situation where you had to get someone to accept an unpopular decision?
- As to decision making: are you a “think on your feet type” or a “let me mull it over” type?
- Do you prefer working as part of a team or working independently?
- Tell me about a time you recommended a course of action and defended it?
- What have you done outside of work that was fun, unique or rewarding?
Finish the interview with the next steps in the hiring process, ask how the person thought they did, and document your interview on an Interview Evaluation Form. If you need one, contact me. We do recruiting and hiring daily as part of our services. If outsourcing this human resources function to us can work for you, consider doing it!
Human Resources Simplified is an experienced and full-service human resources consulting company providing clients with strategic people and team planning, recruiting, training, mentoring and facilitating using consulting and coaching. If you have staff, we have solutions. Win the game of business with our specialists. Our team is focused on serving our clients Human Resources services in Sarasota, Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch, Venice and all along the Suncoast!
Jean is a certified senior-level human resources executive/consultant, adjunct professor, management trainer, professional speaker, resume writer, career coach, and published author.